Monday, August 2, 2010

Corn, corn, and more corn

The last two days have been more about putting on miles than sightseeing but there has been some great scenery. I’ve been trying to take secondary highways which take me through some small towns and cities. These routes are full of stop signs and traffic lights so it can be slow going but much more interesting than the freeways. I thought the canola fields of the prairies were vast but the corn fields in southern Ontario and all across Michigan, Illinois and Iowa are amazing.

Saturday night I rode quite late and found a lousy hotel in Windsor that was likely available by the hour if needed. I slept with my clothes on and was on the road very early. I found my way through Windsor and crossed the Ambassador Bridge into Detroit and used the freeways to get going west. By the time I got to Chicago it was 92F and the traffic was horrible, It took me three hours to navigate through Chicago. Finally stopped just outside of Oregon Illinois for the night.

A great day Monday with some good early morning riding along the Mississippi in the palisades. Nice curvey roads until Iowa where the roads became long and straight but the endless cornfields are beautiful. My nose dectected a great many hog farms along the way too. Sioux Center tonight and off to Rapid City South Dakota tomorrow. Should be fun they next few days because Sturgis is this weekend and there should be plenty of bikes around.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear video feed of the grasshopper HWY. Sounds gruesome! Glad you were able to meet up with a bunch of fellow riders today. Have fun at Mt.Rushmore tomorrow!
    Love you lots!!! W :D

    ReplyDelete