Sunday, July 18, 2010

East Across the prairies

The vast Canadian praires with enormous fields of yellow canola seem endless. A beautiful sight.
The past two days traversing the flat straight roads make me feel small. Huge storm cells stayed just minutes ahead of me as I rode, the pavement often wet with that unique humid smell of fresh rain on the road. Multiple times I thought that I would receive a soaking but the clouds stayed clear of me.
I have become aware that I take the condition of Alberta roads for granted. Even the Trans Canada has gravel shoulders in places throughout Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
1800km in two days doesn’t allow much sightseeing but riding through Kelly Buchberger’s home town was a thrill.
Staying at a Motel 6 in Fargo Saturday night. Basic but only $54.00. For that price camping doesn’t seem so appealing at $25/night. I’ll look for more cheap motels if it’s raining but I do like camping when I can.
So far everything is going great and the bike is purring. I did discover what that little red button next to the throttle is. If you press it while travelling.... the bike stalls! Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. It's great to be able to follow your route. Was thinking about you at B-Say-Tah. Keep safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D,

    Thanks for the link to your blog. I like the follow along map feature. Very cool. Be safe and remeber to keep a few hundred in cash for bail money. You remember what happened last time!

    Bleemer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Bro!

    Don't forget to stop and smell the roses every once in a while, eh? :-) Keep on having a great trip!

    G&H

    ReplyDelete